Friday, February 15, 2008

Learning to handle Digital Camera

Birds photography does really test your patient and skill in handling the Camera & knowing what kind of setting to be used for which kind of lighting environments, last few weeks we had few outing with friends that share same passion namely Joe (Amazing Borneo) Gary (Borneo Guide) and Ron (just stated with his new Olympus). 1. Banded Kingfisher

All this time, when I started taking photos in the late 90’s (slides / films) using my Canon EOS 88, the setting that I used normally is fully manual. I have to be carefully not just to point and shoot. We have 36 exposures only and every click counts.
2. Black Backed Kingfisher
When I have brought my Canon 400D (Digital) last year, I try to use back the Manual setting that I use too, it doesn’t work, the first outing with the gang I have my picture over exposed. In wildlife photography, we have to be ready all the time, so no time to rearrange the setting. So I used Shutter Speed priory since then.
3. Rufous Collard Kingfisher
Recently we went to Sandakan with chances of photographing the rare Borneon Bristlehead (No good picture ever taken of this elusive bird until recently). Now I have accustomed to Shutter Speed priory. The last 3 days of photos shoot make me rethink of the setting that I used. Chances of taking some rare birds of Borneo almost end in disaster if not the birds has been very cooperative with us.

Some of the rare birds that we got with reasonable result are Banded Kingfisher, Rufous Collard Kingfisher, Black Backed Kingfisher & Red Naped Trogon. My biggest disappointment is no able to get good photos of the elusive Bornean Bristlehead. I will be back and this time I hope my settings are perfect and the birds still waiting.

4. Bornean Bristlehead

No comments: